Samstag, 15. Februar 2014

Review: xda-developers.com Timdurus Android 4.4.2 KatKiss #20 ROM


While I was looking up some stuff on xda-developers.com, I saw Timduru was posting a new release of his KatKiss 4.4.2 ROM. I couldn't wait to download it - so I did! :>  As usual I did a backup of my apps and newer versions, did a full wipe & format and finally installed the ROM with the latest GApps (which appearantly were still the same ).




Titanium backup and some manual work brought the tablet back to the state in which is was on KatKiss build #19. I tested some apps, played some games and came to the conclusion that everything was just fine. I didn't know what the major changes brought and who is benefiting but for
me anything was just fine. Some times later I saw dude on xda-developers.com complaining about camera problems.

Everything that was camera related was working fine on #19 (except the fishbowl and panorama function - which in fact doesn't seem to work in this version neighter). Three other dudes said they had no problems with the cam on KatKiss #20 at all. So I decided to do some tests mysefl.

When i firstly started the cam, google asked me if I did want to use the tagging feature. I denyied. The result was that the back cam was activated but feezed. I could even hear the click sound when it got activated. Switched to front cam: working fine. Returned to the back cam: Freeze. Force closing the app by long pressing back button and restarting it: No effect -> Freeze.

So I recently rebootet and *tada*... Everything worked as it should. Strange. I had done some reboots and the system has had time to settle. Nevermind. So for now...

My actual statement on KatKiss #20 release: At least as fast and responsive as release #19. It feels even a bit faster but this could be because of the fresh installation. Actually I got the feeling that the DPi changed or something in that direction. Everything seems to be a bit more sharpened. I asked Tim but he didn't answer yet. Maybe I just forget some settings? Hmmm. Anyway! Yet I wasn't able to find anything not working. Makes Android 4.4.2 KitKat KatKiss #20 ROM (imho) keeping my #1 as the fastest ROM around. Good joob Timeeh. Keep going Meohw!


Not working in gerneral:
  • ART
  • Multi Window
  • Native Flash support*
  • Camera Fishbow- and Panorama modes 
 * There is a workaround with the help Dolphin browser and Jetpack. The YouTube.com app does work also.

Improvements to #19:
  • Implemented KVT49L
  • Kicked out HWComposer components lower then 1.0
  • Other things belonging to VSync, SurfaceFlinger and Sensor services.


 Deteriorations to #19:
  • Users report that Trebuchet in KatKiss #20 runs more sloppy then in build #19*
  • Users report, google+ still crashes, even with photo & contacts sync off.*
* This bug seems to be related to a lot of suffering going on in the KitKat ROM Szene.  Think you will for now have this problems on almost any Rom. You should use a launcher. I would recomment Next Launcher 3D Shell Version (Free). The comercial ver is expensive...

 To be concluded:
  • Forced closes of Google and Sync related apps
  • Forced closes of the cam in some situations
Software findings:
  • I wasn't able to get any Screen Recording App to work. They all suffer the same error: 0-Byte files output. Could be related to the writing rights on certain folders. Tryed some... willl have a further look later. Mustn't be ROM related.Will try to record via Android SDK and Android Studio later.
I will try to keep you peeps updated on the status and stability of this build.

Hope it helped. Cheers.


(You can read up everything and have a closer look at the tests on xda-developers.com)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen